I know that most people would say that 2016 wasn’t a great year. Many in fact would say that it was a horrible year. I think though that even in years that fall short of what we would consider “excellent” there can be much good. There is a pretty popular article making the rounds on 99 Reasons 2016 Was a Good Year which is a good start. With that in mind here is a short list of why 2016 was a good year for me (and my family).
- We paid our bills, kept food on the table and our house cool (it’s Phoenix, so you know you never need to keep it warm).
- Our two oldest boys moved to a new school that is more challenging and offers a lot more for them to participate in (sports, choir, etc.). And they loved it.
- Our youngest, who has been dealing with a swallow disorder where she can only drink thickened liquids (think almost the consistency of honey), finally got into feeding therapy after three years of trying and can now drink un-thickened liquids. (This is hands down our biggest win this year).
- We did a better job of doing family activities this year. If you look at our photos from 2016, most of them are from places like the bowling alley, Arizona Science Center, the Phoenix Zoo, etc. Our kids are still small-ish (though getting bigger every year) so we will have less and less time for this going forward.
- Best of all I remained happily married to my wonderful wife and the love of my life.
This isn’t to say that our year was all rainbows and lollipops, because it most certainly wasn’t. But even in the midst of the things that weren’t perfect there was still much good and that is always important to remember.